May 28, 2009

As they age

Brookie my beautiful senior girl. I have to say as Brookie moves up in age I find myself being more and more anal about things with her. Brookie is 12 1/2 and the oldest grey I have owned to date.
When Brookie's 12th Birthday was getting close I found myself watching and looking for any sort of problem/limp/slowing down in eating/odd breathing/lumps or bumps, basically anything. I think I was driving the poor old gal crazy and I know Kevin was ready to come out of his skin with all my worrying going on.

So yesterday I was hanging out in the yard with the crew and here comes Brookie around the corner limping. I immediately hit FREAK MODE! OMG what did she do. She was just a moment ago running, did she hurt herself, could it be Osteo, what??
After I take 2 seconds to calm myself and my mind then I starts thinking rationally. First pick up the paw and check to see if anything is there.
Of course, sure enough there is a little thorn/sticker type thing, ever so small attached to one of her pads.
Removed that and off Brookie went, no limp =)

I know Brookie is getting up there in age and of course I always worry but then again when I look at all the things Brookie does do I can let my mind rest a bit.
She continues her Poop and runs, she still walks everyday with us and she's out front with Poo while the boys lag back. She easily jumps on and off the couch and well for a 12 1/2 yr old gal I think she's doing just fine.
Sure she has some old age issues. If she stands for too long her hind legs will get a bit shaky and sometimes I hear an odd cough.
Everyday with my hounds is a gift, I know this and Brookie has shared
10 1/2 of her 12 1/2 years in my home.

No comments:

Post a Comment