May 1, 2009

The Duck should stick to chicken


What a nerve wracking week! I went away to GIG on Friday morning but Thursday night me and Kevin went out for a wine tasting. While we were away Duck felt the need to ransack the house. A dog bed was torn up, a drawer to one of the computer desk was removed and contents were all over the floor.
Duck was acting fine so I didn't worry to much, just chewed up things. Or so I thought :(
Late Monday night the Ducker man started throwing up some "stuff" I wasn't too worried until Tue Morning when he all of his breakfast came back up in about 1/2hr and then nothing would stay down. Not even water.
On Wed Morning I carried Duck to the vet just knowing he must have had a blockage somewhere =( Duck spent All Wed at the vet and Wed night with the ER vet. Thur morning I then carried him back to the regular vet and was able to pick him up Thur night.
Basically Duck will be glowing in the dark for a while =) He had more x-rays than I could ever imagine could be done in a short amount of time. He also had a Barrium (sp) done and that was the main reason for so many x-rays.
What Duck had was some Polyfill from a dog bed still hanging out in his stomach. The Barrium was hanging around in that area a bit to long and it was not sure if surgery was going to be needed or not. The Barrium was flowing through all areas fine and did make it down to the colon but still there were signs it was hanging in the lower stomach.
When Duck came home Thru night he was placed on Flagyl and Sucralfate along with some W/D canned food. To try and just use some solid food hoping it would help push the polyfill out in a BM. He also had his IV port kept in just in case.
Friday morning was when we would really find out what is going on. If surgery was needed or not. Luckily it was not.
He ate fine had a few BM's which one included some Polyfill and he's keeping water and food down just fine.
My gosh what a roller coaster ride and I have a feeling this has just created a monster in me. I feel a touch of OCD coming on. I'm walking around the house and yard making sure there is nothing the Ducker man can get into that will cause a problem. Throwing away toys that have a small tear and chucking the dog bed that Duck managed to get the Polyfill from.
I forget that Duck is so new home and that I need to take extra precautions. He's more like a 6 month old pup then a 4 yr old. Everything is so new for him and so interesting it just needs to go in his mouth.
What a scare but the Ducker man is doing just fine and back to his normal self, minus the chewing/eating things ;-)
Me well other than the OCD thing going on I guess I'm no worse the wear LOL, dang dogs always keep you on your toes

No comments:

Post a Comment