May 23, 2010

My old lady, Brookie

When you see the title of "It's all about them" it really is not joke.
For those of you who have had older hounds you will easily be able to relate. For those of you who don't have older hounds yet, well just wait ;-)

Brookie is my oldest gal and she knows how to work her momma. At 13 1/2 basically whatever Brookie wants, when ever Brookie wants is how things go around this home.

Last night for example. Normal feeding time for the hounds is around 4pm or so. Very rarely will Brookie join the crew at feeding time. She has set her own schedule that the humans just have to deal with. So at around Midnight Brookie wanted something. Yes, something what that may be well the humans better figure it out. Again at around 1:00am she pesters Kevin for something. Then again at around 3:30am she stands by my bed and just pants. I'm far from a light sleeper but I guess just like a mom with young children you learn to wake up to certain sounds. For me it's Brookie panting while standing next to my bed. Then it's not a matter of just grabbing some dry food and slapping it down. Oh no way that would be much to easy. It's the guessing game, the rotate of the foods to find out exactly what one Brookie wants to eat. We actually have a shelf and a half just for Brookie's food in our fridge.

I always try to "fix" this problem by making up special meals in hopes that I can get Brookie to eat at more normal times. Tonight I managed to pull this trick off. Lets see if we all sleep threw the night.

I grilled up steaks and made up a special grilled Hamburger specially for Brookie, now lovingly known as "The Princess" I had already offered up Brookie some chicken liver, beef liver, raw hamburger, 3 kinds of canned food, 2 kinds of dry. It was a last ditch effort. Score one for the human. She ate with gusto. WOOOOOT

Lets see if I get the 3am wake up call. But if old gal wakes me up at 3am no way I'm going out to grill her up a burger ;-)

Honestly I wouldn't change a thing. I have been blessed to have Brookie with me as long as I have (11 years). If I found I needed to feed her lobster and steaks for the rest of her days I would gladly do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment