May 25, 2010

Score one for Brookie


Sometimes us humans just think we are so smart. I'm always grounded by my hounds. I really thought I had "pulled a fast one" with Brookie the other day. Silly human that I am.
So while I grilled some hamburgers for Brookie and had her eat a bit later then normal thinking my chances to be able to sleep threw the whole night were an amazing plan. You guessed it. Brookie had other plans.
Once again at 1:30am and again at around 3:30am my old gal wants "something" Sometimes it could just be a cookie or piece of beef jerky, sometimes it could be a whole meal for her and then sometimes she just wants me up while she goes out to do her business. I am always shocked that I actually wake up.
Me, a person who was able to sleep as Hurricane Katrina was slamming our coast was able to sleep during that storm is awoke by a old dog standing by her bedside and panting. Really??
Something else I find amazing is that my other hounds do not seem to see Brookie as the old gal. They respect her as they always have even though it's quite obvious that she is weaker in her old age. They know that when it's hang out on the front porch time that Brookie always gets to go out that door first. It's just amazing to me that while I hear so many talk about the shifting roles in their homes as hounds get older and yet in my crew the lines are set and continue on that way until a hound passes.
And for a funny just to show that while Brookie may be getting up there in age, this old gals still has it.
We were all sitting on the front porch this evening while I cooked up Brookies dinner., Kevin came home.
All the hounds will rush the gate to get a peek then rush into the house to greet Kevin at the garage door. Brookie being a bit slower in her older years takes a bit more time to get from the porch to the door. In the time of her making her way from one place to the other, the rest of the crew was charging back out to the porch to see what was taking Kevin so long.
Someone must have bumped Brookie and let me tell you. That old gal laid into them like no ones business :D Young dogs scattered with their tails tucked to come sulk by my side. While there stood Brookie. Proud as ever to keep those young whipper snappers in line.
Ya my old gal Brookie, she still has it :D

No comments:

Post a Comment